Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Casual Steampunk Fridays 10/01/10

So, as much as I love the super fancy complex and ornate costumes involed with steampunk, sometimes you just can't wear a full length dress and corset to school or work without being scolded by significant folks in your life.  So, on a weekly basis, I am going to feature casual everyday clothing with a real steampunk feel, both from my own wardrobe, the internet and my friends in the steampunk comunity.  If you have a picture you want to send me, I may just feture you in one of my posts!

Today's entry:

So, I'm gonna deconstruct my own wardrobe a little this  time around.  I don't have any pictures, but I'll try to get some up next Friday for you.

Necesary Wardrobe Pieces: 


Vests:
Having a bunch of vests is a super useful and simple way to get a little steampunk flair into your outfit.  I have 4, two black, one brown and one grey, and due to their various cuts and styles, they can be worn with almost anything.  They also are great for costume building, but they have a great casual feel for everyday wear.

Coats:
Having a few awesome coats is a delightful experience.  I have a cute courduroy top that I love to wear both with an outfit and just by itself and a more dressy black half top with long sleeves that looks similar to a horse back riders jacket.  Both of these can be dressed up or down and have a great feel too them.

Accesories:
From hats to jewelrey, the small things are really key to a steampunk feel.  I have pins, earrings, and hats that can all be worn with everyday cloths for a little bit of flair in an outfit.  As long as you're subtle, most people won't think your in a costume, but anyone who is a participant in the steampunk subculture, or even has a basic idea of steampunk, will beable to pick out your pieces.  I find nopthing is more satifying than a person giving you a knowing smile when  they see something they recognise in your clothing.

Now, there are plenty of other routes you can take with your casual outfit.  Later, I will be featuring steampunk graphic T-shirts, as well as everyday bags, boots and jewelry.  This is just a launching point, and I hope this will get more specific as this blog goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment