Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

And so it begins.....

So, I pride myself on being a crafty person.  I'm into jewelry making, costuming and remodeling, and as a result, for the past two years, I have slowly been getting into a fabulous sub-culture known as steampunk.  This blog is a chronicle of one woman's sojourn into time travel, air ships and all things steampunk!

So what is steampunk anyways?  I've found that it can be rather hard to pin down.  For many that's is exactly the appeal.  I first got into it at an anime convention (nerd pride) and I have read a lot of the classic Jules Verne, which is one of the founding inspirations of the genre.  I don't claim to be an expert, but my formula goes as follows:

A Victorian fashion sensibility + Jules Verne-esque speculative fiction + any sort of fantasy, sci-fi or gothic slant.

It lends itself very well to adventure settings a la Around the World in 80 Days, but it also has darker more dystopian aspects, often referred to as gaslight fantasy, which is a little later than the steam powered era of classic steampunk.

Browns and blacks seem to have become the unspoken norm in steampunk fashion, but I am currently working on a purple and black outfit.  ( more on this at a later note.  There will be WIP pictures soon.)  Goggles and top hats are often common, but they run the gamut from classic aviator goggles to heavily modified completely individual ones.  The long and short of it is that if you pay a little attention, almost anything goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment